Put down those clippers, I’m not talking about shearing yourself like a sheep… Though you can, if you want to. The pixie cut is definitely in and it’s paying off for celebs and girls-next-door everywhere.
Before we get started, remember it’s important to think positive and stay confident. The process of restoring your hair may take a little effort, but you’re headed towards amazing results that’ll make you even more beautiful than before.
1. Get a trim– Sun, fun, and chlorine can sap away your hair’s natural oils and make it dry and brittle resulting in frizziness and split-ends. A trim of half an inch or more will make your hair look better instantly.
2. Wash only when necessary– Nothing is better for your hair than its own natural oils. However,shampooing everyday will wash these oils away and doesn’t give them time to nourish the whole shaft. Try foregoing shampooing for a day or two.
3. Use the right shampoo– As mentioned in #2, you can try to go a day or so without shampooing. Which is great, unless you have oily or fine hair and don’t want your hair to look dirty. You can shampoo daily, but drench your hair with water before putting the shampoo in. Massage the scalp and concentrate on lathering the area two inches from the scalp as this is where sebum collects. Then, rinse very well using the coldest water you can stand. Using cool to cold water will smooth the cuticle so frayed ends aren’t as noticeable. Use products with the words “strengthening”, “renewal”, or “anti-breakage” on the label.
. Rehydrate– Rather than using your regular conditioner, try a product that’s made for after-sun use. Hydrating hair balms are often more healing than regular conditioner, especially the leave-in sort. Don’t use styling products that contain alcohol and stay away from maximum-hold hairsprays. You can also use coconut oil, it smooths away frizz and leaves lovely shine.
5. Use the right brush– Plastic combs and brushes can do major damage to your hair, especially when it’s wet. Boar’s hair brushes can help spread the hair’s natural oil down the cuticle and avoid breakage.
6. Avoid hot tools– Flat irons, curling irons, blowdryers and other such items will damage your hair and reverse whatever kind of benefits you’ve been trying to implement. If you absolutely cannot do without your blow dryer, use it on its lowest setting.
7. Try an at-home hair mask– Chop up a cucumber and an avocado (with the skin on) and puree them together in a food processor. Add a tablespoon of honey and dilute with enough water to make a paste. Apply this mixture all over your head and gently massage it into the scalp; cover your head with a shower cap and wrap it in a warm towel. Leave the mixture on for at least fifteen minutes, then shower as usual.
Another easy hair remedy is to combine one teaspoon of lavender oil to a teaspoon of coconut milk. Massage into dry hair before you go to sleep, then rinse it out in the morning. You won’t believe the difference!